I’m been writing news releases for over twenty years, using various methods to create new ideas. I have a technology client who bought a package of news releases from a news release service and was having trouble coming up with ideas for news releases.
Every day, I read hundreds of news releases looking for news for various websites. The beauty of news releases is that editors and writers don’t have to spend much time or do a lot of work to make a story. Here’s my list of types of news releases to find ways to generate news release ideas:
- New product release.
- Offer a software update or news software SDK.
- Certification of a product
- A unique spin on the industry providing tips for example, “10 ways to decide if your technology for wireless transmission is the best.”
- Commentary on a news item by expert.
- Sponsorship of a contest or winner of a contest.
- Fact, tips, or problems associated with a holiday.
- Exhibiting or attending a trade show offering free advice to potential clients at a trade show.
- A product that solves a problem that is injurious to people. Or tips to help people who have a problem.
- Philanthropic donations for good causes. For example, a car company donates accessible vans for people with disabilities
- Something of a local spin such as a company rents a new space in a new community or builds a property in a new community.
- Offer an expert for interviews. The problem with this is that the reporter has to come up with the questions. However, a better technique is to interview the expert with questions, give the questions and answers and then tell the reporter that they can use these questions or also interview the expert
- Compile data for an infographic about an emerging industry. You don’t need to be the provider of the data you collect the data.
- Perform some kind of poll or research about attitudes towards and developing technology and the field.
- Launch or redesign of a website.
- New spin on a story personal. Someone does something outlandish for their age, industry, background, or…
- Sponsorship of a racing team, sports team celebrity or event.
- Announce a partnership or an acquisition.
- Something related to a special day, week or month such as that’s not a holiday such as in honor of safe driving awareness or distracting driving Awareness Week.
- Anniversary, birthday and or special deal.
It is very important after you explain “Why/Wherefore” of your news release. You should describe:
- Why the product, service, event or subject is special or unique.
- Why the product, service, event or subject topic deserves to be mentioned.
- Why or what you are offering that is significant or different from competitors.
I often find myself jumping over the quotes in news release because they tend to be boring and unrelated to the subject.
I will use quotes if they have personality. With one client we have the CEO as being very serious while the sales guy, makes funny or metaphorical comments.
PR Newswire only shows six types of news releases:
- General news
- Executive or staff announcement
- Expert positioning
All of these lack pizazz, when I ‘m dealing with a smaller company, I try to make the news release exciting, fun and fascinating.
August tends to be a slow month news, therefore it is great time to write a news release. If you need help with a news release, call (626) 921-6397 or contact me lwal(at)freelancewriternow.com.